Imagine if, for 16 days, there was no rape & child abuse. The 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against #women & #Children campaign challenges Ugandans 2 declare a truce on violence against women & children – and, ultimately, 2 make it a permanent one.
We have seen frightening tales of cruelty against children as told in the media. We remember the case of a six year old boy in Buwate who was repeatedly tortured with an electric cable and metallic rod by his step mother, Peninah Kukunda.In some cases, girls as young as eight years old are raped daily at school and at home.
The #16DaysofActivism for No Violence against Women and Children is an international awareness-raising campaign which takes place every year from November 25, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, to December 10, International Human Rights Day. The objectives of the 16 Days campaign are to encourage individuals to be active participants in the fight to eradicate violence against women and children.
The objectives of the 16 Days Campaign are to:
- Attract all Ugandans to be active participants in the fight to eradicate violence against women and children.
- Combine technology, social media, the arts, journalism, religion, culture and customs, business and activism to draw attention to the many ways violence against women and children affects the lives of all people in all communities around the world.
- Ensure mass mobilization of all communities to promote collective responsibility in the fight to eradicate violence against women and children.
- Encourage society to acknowledge that violence against women and children is not a government or criminal justice system problem, but a societal problem, and that failure to view it as such results in all efforts failing to eradicate this scourge in our communities.
- Emphasize the fact that the solution lies with all of us.
The AfriChild Centre calls on individuals to stand up and be counted among those that challenge the increasing rate of violence against women and children, paying particular attention to the protection of children.Men are critical partners in the fight against the abuse of children. Men & boys are encouraged 2 talk about abuse & actively discourage abusive behaviour. Cases of child abuse should be reported to authorities without delay. Together, let us take actions to support the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children campaign.